Ospene: instructions for use
Before buying Ospen, you should carefully read the instructions for use, how to use and dosage, and other useful information about Ospen. On the site "Encyclopaedia of Diseases" you will find all the necessary information: instructions for proper use, recommended dosage, contraindications, as well as reviews of patients who have already used this medication.
Group affiliation: penicillin, antibiotic
Description of active ingredient (INN): Phenoxymethylpenicillin
Composition and form of release
• OSPEN 250 mg tablets:
1 tablet contains:
phenoxymethylpenicillin in the form of potassium salt 250 mg.
• OSPEN 500 tablets in a film shell
1 tablet contains:
phenoxymethylpenicillin in the form of a potassium salt is 500,000 IU (about 0.3 g).
• OSPEN 1000 tablets in a film shell
1 tablet contains:
phenoxymethylpenicillin in the form of a potassium salt - 1,000,000 IU (about 0,6 g);
sodium saccharin 0.1 mg.
• OSPEN 1500 tablets in a film shell
1 tablet contains:
phenoxymethylpenicillin in the form of potassium salt 1500000 ME (about 0.9 g);
sodium saccharin 0.15 mg.
• OSPEN 400 pellets:
5 ml (= 1 measuring spoon) contains: benzathine phenoxymethylpenicillin (corresponding to approximately 250 mg phenoxymethylpenicillin) - 400000 ME
sodium benzoate - 25 mg;
saccharin sodium - 5.8 mg;
sucrose - about 2.0 g;
• OSPEN 400 syrup:
in 5 ml (= 1 measuring spoon) contains 400,000 IU phenoxymethylpenicillin in the form of benzathine salt.
• OSPEN 750 syrup:
in 5 ml (= 1 measuring spoon) contains 750000 ME phenoxymethylpenicillin in the form of benzathine salt.
Dosage form: granules for oral suspension, dragees, drops for ingestion, powder for oral suspension, syrup, tablets, coated tablets
Ospen - Pharmacological action
Ospen is an antibacterial agent of the penicillin group, which acts bactericidal, suppressing the synthesis of the cell wall.
Ospen is active against Gram-positive (Staphylococcus spp., Streptococcus spp., Streptococcus pneumoniae) and Gram-negative cocci (Neisseria meningitidis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae), Treponema spp., Haemophilus influenzae, Corynebacterium spp., Clostridium spp., Listeria monocytogenes, Bacillus anthracis.
It does not affect strains of Staphylococcus spp., Producing penicillinase, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, most Gram-negative bacteria, viruses, Rickettsia spp., Entamoeba histolytica. Acid-resistant; is destroyed by the action of penicillinase.
Ospen - Indications for use
• Infections of the upper and lower respiratory tract (bronchitis, pneumonia );
• Infections of ENT organs (tonsillitis, laryngitis, otitis media, sinusitis);
• Infections of the oral cavity (bacterial stomatitis, periodontitis, actinomycosis ),
• Prevention of bacterial infections after surgical operations in weakened patients, relapses of rheumatism, rheumatoid arthritis, bacterial endocarditis, glomerulonephritis, small chorea.
Used for prevention:
- streptococcal infections and their complications (including rheumatic attack or small chorea, polyarthritis, endocarditis , glomerulonephritis);
- bacterial endocarditis in patients with congenital or rheumatic heart defects before and after minor surgical interventions (tonsillectomy, extraction of teeth);
- pneumococcal infections in children with sickle cell anemia.
Ospene during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy and lactation, Ospene should be administered with caution and only if the expected benefit to the mother exceeds the potential risk to the fetus or newborn.
To date, there is no evidence that phenoxymethylpenicillin, used in pregnancy, had an embryotoxic, teratogenic or mutagenic effect. However, phenoxymethylpenicillin penetrates the placental barrier and is found in small amounts in the milk of nursing mothers.
Ospen - Contraindications
Hypersensitivity (including to other beta-lactam antibiotics - penicillins, cephalosporins, carbapenems), aphthous stomatitis and pharyngitis, severe course of infections, gastrointestinal diseases accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea.
Ospen - Side effects
• On the part of the digestive system: dyspeptic disorders (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea), glossitis, stomatitis, vesicular cheilitis (associated with the irritant effect of the drug on the mucous membranes), decreased appetite, dry mouth, impaired taste, rarely pseudomembranous enterocolitis.
Other: interstitial nephritis, pharyngitis, vasculitis .
Ospen - Administration and dosage
Inside, for 0.5-1 h before meals, squeezed a copious amount of liquid.
Adults and children over 12 years of age are prescribed 0.5-1 g (1 mg - 1610 ED) 3-4 times a day. In severe CRF, the interval between doses is increased to 12 hours. The course of treatment is 5-7 days; infections caused by beta-hemolytic streptococcus - at least 7-10 days and within 3 days after normalization of body temperature.
Children under 1 year - in a daily dose of 20-30 mg / kg; 1-6 years - 15-30 mg / kg, 6-12 years - 10-20 mg / kg; The daily dose is divided into 4-6 receptions.
Children under 3 years of age are preferably administered as a solution or suspension.
For the prevention of rheumatic attacks or small chorea - 500 mg 2 times a day.
For the prevention of postoperative complications, adults and children with a body weight of more than 30 kg for 0.5-1 hour before the surgery appoint 2 g, then 0.5 g every 6 hours for 2 days.
Preparation of the suspension
Fill the bottle half with drinking water, shake well, and then add water to the annular mark on the vial.
Shake well before use.
When stored below 25 ° C, the suspension is usable for 14 days.
OSPEN 200, 400, 750 syrup
Dosage Scheme: Age (body weight) Average dose
• Newborns and infants up to 3 months (3-6 kg) - 1/2 measuring spoon OSPENA 200 three times a day
• Breast children from 3 to 12 months (6-10kg) - 1 measuring spoon OSPENA 200 three times a day; 1/2 teaspoon OSPENA 400 three times a day
• Children from 1 to 6 years (10 - 22 kg) - 2 scoops OSPENA 200 three times a day; 1 measuring spoon OSPENA 400 three times a day; 1/2 teaspoon OSPENA 750 three times a day
• Children of school age from 6 to 12 years (22 -38kg) - 2 measuring spoons of OSPENA 400 three times a day; 1 measuring spoon OSPENA 750 three times a day
Therapy should be continued within 2-5 days after the disappearance of the symptoms of the disease. When streptococcal infections in order to avoid complications, the duration of therapy on average should be 10 days.
Special instructions for dosage:
Prevention of streptococcal infections (eg, scarlet fever):
In case of contact, a ten-day course of oral administration of penicillin at therapeutic doses can prevent the development of the disease.
Prevention of recurrence of rheumatic fever:
• Breast children from 3 to 12 months: 1/2 measuring spoon OSPENA 400 twice a day
• Children from 1 year of age: 1 measuring spoon OSPENA 400 twice a day; 1/2 teaspoon OSPENA 750 twice a day
Prophylaxis of endocarditis in small surgical interventions, such as tonsillectomy, tooth extraction, etc.:
Children (body weight of which is up to 30 kg): 30-60 minutes before the start of surgery 4 measuring tablespoons OSPENA 400; then 1 scoop OSPENA 400 every 6 hours after the operation for 2 days, and if necessary - and more.
Guidance on the choice of dosage for prescribing patients with renal insufficiency: As a rule, due to the low toxicity of penicillin, there is no need to reduce the dose of the drug to patients with impaired liver or kidney function.
Prolonged or repeated administration may cause the development of superinfections, the causative agents of which are resistant bacteria or fungi. If severe persistent diarrhea is observed during treatment or in the first weeks after discontinuation, pseudomembranous colitis should be ruled out.
Ospen - Interaction with medicinal products
Increases the effectiveness of indirect anticoagulants (suppressing the intestinal microflora, reduces the formation of vitamin K); reduces the effectiveness of oral contraceptives and drugs, in the process of metabolism which forms PABC.
Ospene increases the risk of bleeding "breakthrough" against the background of taking ethinyl estradiol.
Antacids, glucosamine, laxatives, aminoglycosides and food slow down and reduce absorption; ascorbic acid - increases.
Bactericidal antibiotics (including cephalosporins, cycloserine, vancomycin, rifampicin), aminoglycosides - synergism of action; bacteriostatic antibiotics (including macrolides, chloramphenicol, lincosamides, tetracyclines) - antagonism.
Diuretics, allopurinol, phenylbutazone, NSAIDs, etc. LS, which reduce tubular secretion, increase the concentration of phenoxymethylpenicillin.
Allopurinol increases the risk of allergic reactions (skin rashes).
Penicillin Fau potassium salt
Phenoxymethylpenicillin (for suspension)
Phenoxymethylpenicillin dragee 100,000 units
Terms and conditions of storage
List B. The drug should be stored in a place protected from light, inaccessible to children at a temperature of 8 to 15 ° C. Shelf life - 2 years.
We want to pay special attention to the fact that the description of the drug Ospen is presented for informational purposes only! For more accurate and detailed information about the drug Ospen, please refer only to the manufacturer's annotation! Do not self-medicate! You should definitely consult a doctor before starting the drug!