Addison's disease treatment
Addison's disease, or as it is called otherwise, Bronze disease is a rare enough endocrine disease, accompanied by a chronic insufficiency of the adrenal cortex, which arises from their bilateral defeat. In the vast majority of recorded cases of Addison's disease - the cause of the disease is the attack of one's own immune system (autoimmune process). Although other causes contributing to the development of this disease are not excluded
- Autoimmune defeat of the adrenal cortex
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
- As a consequence of prolonged hormonal therapy
надпочечников - Adrenal Tuberculosis
- Removal of the adrenal glands
- Hemorrhages in the adrenal glands
- Fungal diseases (coccidioidomycosis, histoplasmosis and blastomycosis)
: The main symptoms are :
- Lowering blood pressure and muscle weakness
- There comes a depressive condition and there is a gradual weight loss
: Secondary symptoms :
- There are changes on the skin (areas of hyperpigmentation - dark sites on the closed and open parts of the body)
- Patients begin to consume large amounts of salt
- Children have a decrease in blood glucose
- In women there is a violation or complete cessation of the menstrual cycle
In some cases, the patient may have a violation of swallowing and heart palpitations. Because of a violation of calcium metabolism, convulsive attacks are possible. People with Addison's disease do not tolerate solar radiation.
Also sometimes there are cases when symptoms of Bronze disease manifest unexpectedly, thereby provoking a crisis. These crises are quite dangerous, especially if they are triggered by a trauma or other illness
: Symptoms of the crisis :
- A sharp drop in blood pressure
- There is a sudden pain in the abdomen and lower limbs
и рвота - Severe diarrhea and vomiting
- In some cases there is a loss of consciousness
In the case of an adrenal crisis, a patient in the shortest possible time requires qualified medical care, otherwise a person may die.
For an unmistakable diagnosis of Addison's disease, in the presence of the above symptoms, a person's blood is taken for biochemical analysis
First of all, hormone replacement therapy is prescribed for the treatment of this disease in order to obtain those hormones that the body can not produce on its own. In case of a lack of cortisol - tableted hydrocortisone 1-2 times a day is prescribed. With a reduced content of aldosterone, a tableted mineral corticoid hormone (Florinef) is administered once a day. When taking this hormone, it is recommended to increase the intake of salt. The dosage of the drug is selected individually.
During the course of the adrenal crisis, a significant drop in blood pressure and blood glucose, elevated blood levels of potassium, can seriously threaten the patient's life. With the adrenal crisis intravenously administered hydrocortisone + dextrose (sugar) + saline (salt water). After that, in the vast majority of cases, there is a sharp improvement.
The prognosis for Addison's disease is quite favorable. With timely adequate and qualitatively conducted therapy - the life expectancy with this disease is close to the average.
More articles on this topic: